Tuesday, September 16, 2014

We Are All Mentors

Jason Cascarino
Spark Chief Executive Officer & Mento
r
Having the privilege to run a nonprofit centered on mentoring, I find myself routinely reflecting on the power of that practice. It’s been a time-honored – indeed, ancient – method of teaching and learning for young and old alike.

All of us have been mentored at many stages in life. Some relatively brief stints and others longer term relationships. The three that stand out for me run the gamut: a high school coach, a college professor, and my first boss. 

Sure, I’ve had terrific teachers in my life, to say nothing of great family role models who have shaped who I am. But, I admittedly gravitate more toward that small group of wise counselors who took me under their wing for a time. Most continue to do so even today. They are the first I call when I have reason. And when I don’t have one, I make one up, knowing full well I will invariably find something I need that I wasn’t even looking for.

I remember once profusely thanking one of these great influencers for affecting me so much. He all but looked embarrassed accepting the compliment, in an “aw, shucks” sort of way. In part, I think, to deflect, he simply charged me with being a mentor myself. A pay it forward kind of sentiment.

So I’ve taken on mentoring myself – mostly with people who work for me, although I’d like to think my kids see me as a mentor as well. For many people, the mentor-pupil relationship evolves rather organically. You may not even realize it until the relationship has shifted. Your employee leaves, for example, and they tell you how much they’ve learned from you. There are few comments more satisfying.

Now, I’m going to be a mentor for Spark. I’m just shy of nine months into my stint as CEO of Spark, this amazing opportunity to lead an extraordinary group of folks who have been serving thousands of young people all across the country. The spirit and energy my colleagues exude have given me a strong desire to experience this compelling idea first hand and at its core.

Being part of a formal program, the mentoring relationship I’m about to embark upon is both more intentional and more structured. And in some ways, the impact can be more dramatic. The young people we work with are seventh and eighth graders who are showing some signs of disengagement from school. The fact is, most young people at this age show these signs. Unfortunately, students in some communities lack the guidance, support and access to opportunities to help them navigate these challenging years.

I’m delighted to get the chance to mentor in this way, and to document it in this venue. This fall, I’ll be joining nearly a thousand professional men and women from large corporations, small companies, public agencies and nonprofits taking on one-on-one mentoring relationships with young people across four major metropolitan regions Spark serves – San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Chicago and Philadelphia. Together, we are shooting for no less than offering exciting, and possibly in some cases life-altering, learning experiences that ensure young people at this critical age are engage, on-track and ready to succeed in high school, college and beyond.


I hope you’ll join me in this adventure: as a follower, as a mentor yourself, as a supporter of Spark and as someone deeply committed to the power of mentoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment